Students interested in transferring into the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interdisciplinary Art at the SMFA at Tufts or the 5-Year Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS will apply to Tufts University using the Common Application. Because of the flexible studio curriculum in our interdisciplinary BFA, we are uniquely poised to welcome transfer students into the program at varying levels, and we value students who come from a variety of educational backgrounds.
What's Different about a BFA or Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS Transfer Application?
Your transfer application to the BFA Program or the 5-Year Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS must fulfill all of the requirements for a Tufts application, with the following exceptions/additions:
- You must indicate on your application the program to which you are applying
- You must submit an art portfolio via SlideRoom. The deadline for this portfolio is March 15th for Transfer Applicants.
- All applicants to Tufts will respond to two supplemental prompts. For BFA and 5-Year Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS applicants, the second prompt will challenge you to reflect specifically on your art practice.
You can see the full list of application requirements here.
All applications to the BFA and Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS programs must include an art portfolio. The SMFA at Tufts offers a conceptually rigorous, interdisciplinary visual arts program. At SMFA, the development of ideational and technical skills requires that students explore by working across media—addressing issues in contemporary art, art history, and the liberal arts.
The ideal portfolio will demonstrate a student’s conceptual development, while highlighting their technical abilities. We encourage students to submit work that they believe to be the strongest representation of their skills and experiences to date, regardless of media.
Submit 15-20 images of recent work and/or up to 10 minutes of time-based work.
Allowed Media Types:
- Images (up to 10MB each)
- Video (up to 500MB each)
- Audio (up to 60MB each)
- PDFs (up to 20MB each)
- 3D Models
- External media from YouTube, Vimeo, and SoundCloud
The deadline to submit the portfolio is the transfer deadline, March 15th.
How to Submit:
- You must indicate your plans to submit a portfolio as part of the Tufts application questions via the Common Application and will see a link to submit your portfolio through SlideRoom at the end of the application.
- Please note, there is a $12 charge to submit your portfolio through SlideRoom.