Coming from a small town in Idaho, I was so excited to explore Boston and the surrounding areas. One of my favorite ways to explore new places is by visiting local bookstores. I’ve always been a big reader and I love collecting books from new places. If I took you on a tour of my bookshelves, I could tell you exactly when and where I got each book. Since coming to Tufts, I have amassed a few novels from some wonderful independent bookstores around Tufts. Below is a list of some of my favorite bookstores in the Boston area (in no particular order).
1. Brattle Bookshop: Located not too far from Boston Common, Brattle Bookshop has hundreds of new and used books to search through. Their collection is full of books on history, art, philosophy, and fiction. It’s one of America’s oldest bookstores—being founded in 1825. Additionally, next to the shop they have an outdoor section with books ranging from $1-5 dollars.
2. Porter Square Books: Another gem I’ve found since coming to Tufts is Porter Square Books. This bookshop is probably the closest one to campus (besides the campus bookstore, of course). Not only does Porter Square Books have books, but they also have tons of small gifts which are perfect for birthday or holiday gifts!
3. Harvard Bookstore: Located not too far from Harvard Square is the Harvard Bookstore. What I love about Harvard bookstore is its used books section. Many people don’t know about this section, but if go downstairs, you’ll find a great selection of well-priced used books.
4. Beacon Hill Books and Café: Beacon Hill Books and Café recently opened and it has quickly become one of my favorite bookstores I’ve been to in the Boston area. If you’re looking for a bookstore with a cozy, magical vibe, this one is for you. This bookshop also has a café so you can sip some tea and enjoy your book in their café!
5. Tufts University Bookstore: Last, but certainly not least, is Tufts University Bookstore. The Tufts Bookstore carries lots of merchandise—but they also have books! Sometimes when I want a new book but don’t have the time to go too far, I’ll stop by the Tufts Bookstore. They have new releases as well as books by Tufts Alumni!