Students interested in pursuing the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interdisciplinary Art at the SMFA at Tufts or the 5-year Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS will apply to Tufts University using either the Common Application, the Coalition Application, or the Questbridge Application.
What's Different about a BFA or BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree Application?
Your application to the BFA Program or the 5-year Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS Program must fulfill all of the requirements for a Tufts application, with the following exceptions/additions:
- You must indicate on your application the program to which you are applying.
- You must submit an art portfolio via SlideRoom. The deadline for this portfolio is: For Early Decision I applicants, November 1st; for Early Decision II and Regular Decision applicants, January 1st.
- You must submit a recommendation from an art teacher in addition to your School Counselor recommendation. For BFA applicants, this may be your sole teacher recommendation. For Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS applicants, please submit this with a second teacher recommendation.
- All applicants to Tufts will respond to two supplemental prompts. For BFA and 5-Year Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS applicants, the second prompt will challenge you to reflect specifically on your art practice. Click here to find the supplemental essays.
You can see the full list of application requirements here.
All applications to the BFA and Combined Degree BFA + BA/BS programs must include an art portfolio. The SMFA at Tufts offers a conceptually rigorous, interdisciplinary visual arts program. At SMFA, the development of ideational and technical skills requires that students explore by working across media—addressing issues in contemporary art, art history, and the liberal arts.
The ideal portfolio will demonstrate a student’s conceptual development, while highlighting their technical abilities. We encourage students to submit work that they believe to be the strongest representation of their skills and experiences to date, regardless of media.
Submit 15-20 images of recent work and/or up to 10 minutes of time-based work.
Allowed Media Types:
- Images (up to 10MB each)
- Video (up to 500MB each)
- Audio (up to 60MB each)
- PDFs (up to 20MB each)
- 3D Models
- External media from YouTube, Vimeo, and SoundCloud
How to submit:
- Using the Common Application: You must indicate your plans to submit a portfolio as part of the Tufts application questions and will see a link to submit your portfolio through SlideRoom at the end of the application; please note, there is a $12 charge to submit your portfolio through SlideRoom.
- Using the Coalition or Questbridge application: visit the Tufts SlideRoom to create an account, select the “QuestBridge/Coalition App Visual Arts Portfolio” program, and submit your portfolio.
Portfolio Submission Deadlines:
|Early Decision I||November 1|
|Early Decision II||January 1|
|Regular Decision||January 1|