The SMFA and Tufts
On July 1st, 2016, the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA) officially became part of Tufts University's School of Arts and Sciences. The agreement marks a new stage of the seventy-year partnership between the two institutions, which share a mutual respect for interdisciplinary education and faculty-student relationships. Students at the SMFA at Tufts live and take classes at our Fenway campus, finding their way as artists by exploring an idea through various areas of study. These include but are not limited to painting, sculpture, printmaking, metal work, and photography. The SMFA at Tufts offers both a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Interdisciplinary Art and a 5-year BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree Program. Now, all of our students benefit from and have greater access to the classes, resources, and facilities on both campuses. Our students and faculty look forward to collaboration across disciplines and the vibrant, creative culture that will thrive in Medford and on our Fenway campus.
Students interested in pursuing the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interdisciplinary Art at the SMFA at Tufts or the 5-year BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree will apply to Tufts University using either the Common Application, the Coalition Application, or the Questbridge Application.
What's Different about a BFA or BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree Application?
Your application to the BFA Program or the 5-Year BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree Program must fulfill all of the requirements for a Tufts application, with the following exceptions/additions:
- You must indicate on your application the program to which you are applying
- You must submit an art portfolio via SlideRoom. The deadline for this portfolio is: For Early Decision I Applicants, November 1st; for Early Decision II and Regular Decision Applicants, January 1st.
- You must submit a recommendation from an art teacher in addition to your Guidance Counselor recommendation. For BFA applicants, this may be your sole teacher recommendation. For BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree applicants, please submit this with a second teacher recommendation.
- All applicants to Tufts will respond to three supplemental prompts. For BFA and 5-Year Combined Degree applicants, the third prompt will challenge you to reflect specifically on your art practice. If you are getting a head start on our supplemental essays, please note that this is option F.
- BFA APPLICANTS ONLY: If you choose to submit the SAT, you are not required to submit SAT Subject Tests. 5-Year BFA + BA/BS Combined Degree students must submit subject tests to accompany their SAT scores.