Information for First-Year Applicants
Tufts uses the Common Application. Everything you need to apply, including the Tufts Writing Supplement, is hosted on the Common Application website. We provide a simple checklist of all the required application materials below. We aren't able to accept supplemental materials that don't appear on this checklist.
|Application Type||Application Deadline||Notification Date|
|Early Decision I||November 1||Mid-December|
|Early Decision II||January 1||Mid-February|
|Regular Decision||January 1||By April 1|
Please also note the separate financial aid deadlines.
A complete application includes the following nine (9) items, which are required:
- Completed Common Application
- Completed Tufts Writing Supplement
- High School Transcript(s)
- Senior Grades - All applicants will be required to send their senior grades as part of their application. Students applying Early Decision I should send first quarter or trimester grades no later than the last week in November. Students applying Early Decision II should plan for their first semester or trimester grades to arrive no later than the third week in January. Finally, Regular Decision applicants should submit their first semester or trimester grades by the middle of February. Students studying abroad (where predicted grades are common) should send those if senior grades are not available.
- SAT with two subject tests or ACT with the writing section - See the standardized test requirements for information on which subject tests to take.
- TOEFL scores (only for students for whom English is not the first language or who attend a school where English is not the language of instruction)
- Letters of Recommendation - Tufts requires one letter from a teacher in a junior or senior year major academic course (math, natural science, social science, English, or a foreign language) and one letter from a guidance counselor. An additional letter, though not encouraged, may be submitted if the student feels it can add new perspective to his or her application.
- Extracurricular Activities - In addition to evaluating an academic fit, the admissions committee looks for ways a student may contribute to the community as a whole. They will assess the level and type of involvement in each activity and may ask questions such as: Has the student been a significant contributor or leader? How has the involvement contributed to the school or larger community? Does the student have a special talent in a particular area? We do not expect all students to be team captains, class presidents, or editors-in-chief; rather, we look for meaningful involvement in their school and/or community. The Common Application allows students to list up to ten different activities, but you don't need to fill every space. Some of the most successful applicants are heavily engaged in just a few activities. Keep in mind that the Common Application is your one chance to show your extracurricular engagements: we are not able to accept a supplemental resume of activities.
- $70 Application Fee or Fee Waiver - You may have the application fee waived by submitting either i) a written request from your college counselor or school official who can attest that the fee would represent a financial hardship, or ii) a College Board Request for Waiver of the Application Fee form. You may consider the waiver approved unless a member of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions notifies you otherwise. Without an application fee, or an approved fee waiver, we cannot continue to process your application to Tufts University.
These additions to the application are optional, meaning they are not required:
Please also note that applying for financial aid is a separate process, with its own required documents.
Submitting Your Application
All application materials are submitted online via the Common Application website, including high school transcripts and letters of recommendation. If there are materials that cannot be sent electronically, those materials may be mailed to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
2 The Green
Medford, MA 02155-7057